Tuesday, January 29, 2008

a victim

Free Willy has been one of my favorite movies growing up as a kid and has once made me a victim of hyperreality. On November 23, 1996 I visited Newport Oregon and saw Keiko (Free Willy) in real life. It was amazing as i had only watched him on the movie. Later on that year I had a dream. E.V Lucas once said that "one of the most adventurous things left us is to go to bed. For no one can lay a hand on our dreams." That night I dreamt that Keiko was in my back yard swimming in my four by fifteen-foot pool. It was unbelievable as I first watched Keiko in the movies, then saw him at Newport and then he was in my backyard as my own pet. Furthermore, a person once said that "the best thing about dreams is that fleeting moment, when you are between asleep and awake, when you don't know the difference between reality and fantasy, when for just that one moment you feel with your entire soul that the dream is reality, and it really happened." Having a whale in my pool seemed very real, until the moment I woke up. Reality kicked in once I realized that I was lying in my bed and that no whale could possibly fit in that pool. Hyperreality can take over your mind, not knowing if something is real or just a dream, well it did for me.

http://www.quoteland.com/search.asp
http://thinkexist.com/quotations/reality/

No comments: