Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Did Hamlet love Ophelia before act 3?

Through previous scenes, textual evidence has supported Hamlets love for Ophelia. Act 1.3 in line 100, Ophelia spoke to her father about Hamlets love for her. She said, "He hath, my lord, of late made many tenders of his affection to me." Also, in line 111 Ophelia continues saying, "My lord, he hath importun'd me with love in honourable fashion." To me it seems like Ophelia is sticking up for Hamlet against her father, telling him that Hamlet does love her.

Furthermore, the letter that Hamlet had written to Ophelia reveals the way he felt about her. Polonius read the letter aloud to the Queen in act 2.2. Hamlet said in line 110, "To the celestial, and my soul's idol, the most beautified Ophelia...but never doubt I love." Through this letter that Ophelia never got to read, Hamlet does reveal the connection he has with her. Polonius had instructed Ophelia in act 2.2 to "lock herself from his resort, admit no messengers, receive no tokens." With Ophelia taking her fathers advice Polonius believes that is when Hamlet fell into his sadness/madness. I agree that with his fathers death and his mothers marriage to his uncle, has made him feel this way. Now the women he loved is distant from him, giving him another reason to be such a depressed man.


No comments: